Weds 3rd September 2009
Malaga, Spain – Weds 3rd September 2009
On arrival in Malaga the taxi driver finally helped me locate the recently moved Melting
Pot hostel I had booked into, nicely located right on La Malagueta Beach just a 10 minute stroll along the promenade to the town centre. I had a top bunk in a female dorm with a balcony overlooking the beach and the noisy promenade road. It was very very hot. The hostel was small and friendly with a lot of other single travellers although mostly quite young. It had WIFI, a large terrace and provided a basic cooked meal in the evenings and free breakfast in the morning, all for Euro 22 a night.
I spent Friday exploring the city and the castle / fort on the top of a very big hill. By 3pm I was hot, bothered and very thirsty so loitered a while in the picturesque square right opposite the entrance to the impressive cathedral. Next stop was the beach until the sun finally disappeared at 8.30pm. I was quite surprised at the amount of litter left on the beach by the Spanish. The promenade was a dangerous place to walk in the early evenings avoiding the mass of joggers, cyclists and dog walkers out on their daily exercise regime.
Following a last minute email check I discovered that Dragoman had sent me 2 emails – ‘FCO Advice – Mauritania’ and ‘Change to start of trip’.
1. It turns out that we may not be going to Timbuktu as expected due to the current situation in the north of the country which Timbuktu is bordering. Our insurance becomes invalid if we go against Foreign Office advice but I’m disappointed as the boat trip up the Niger river to Timbuktu is supposed to be one of the trip highlights. This part of trip is still over 6 weeks away so who knows, the political situation may suddenly change in our favour.
2. The second, slight more immediate issue was an email referring to a truck problem – it had broken down on transit from Suffolk to Malaga and was in need of a new engine! Our crew, Luca and Darren, had split up and Luca was to meet us as planned in Malaga while Darren remains in Madrid waiting for a new engine to be driven down from Debenham, UK and fitted in a Madrid workshop. He hoped to be joining us in Casablanca 6 days later.